Definition of glycolysis in English:
The breakdown of glucose by enzymes, releasing energy and pyruvic acid.
- Enzymes primarily involved in glycolysis and in the Krebs cycle showed only a small rise in activity (PFP, PFK and malate dehydrogenase).
- The oxidation of one molecule of glucose via glycolysis and cell respiration releases enough energy to form 38 ATP molecules.
- There is clear evidence of metabolite channeling in the urea cycle, the citrate cycle, glycolysis, and other metabolic pathways.
- Example sentences
- In addition, phosphatases specific for the phosphorylated forms of the glycolytic enzymes increase in activity under the influence of insulin.
- The changes in the enzymatic activity of glycolytic enzymes when they form complexes were shown experimentally.
- However, the activity of hexokinase in muscle is so high that any free glucose is immediately phosphorylated and enters the glycolytic pathway.
Definition of glycolysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan