Definition of glycolysis in English:
The breakdown of glucose by enzymes, releasing energy and pyruvic acid.
- Enzymes primarily involved in glycolysis and in the Krebs cycle showed only a small rise in activity (PFP, PFK and malate dehydrogenase).
- The oxidation of one molecule of glucose via glycolysis and cell respiration releases enough energy to form 38 ATP molecules.
- There is clear evidence of metabolite channeling in the urea cycle, the citrate cycle, glycolysis, and other metabolic pathways.
- Example sentences
- In addition, phosphatases specific for the phosphorylated forms of the glycolytic enzymes increase in activity under the influence of insulin.
- The changes in the enzymatic activity of glycolytic enzymes when they form complexes were shown experimentally.
- However, the activity of hexokinase in muscle is so high that any free glucose is immediately phosphorylated and enters the glycolytic pathway.
Definition of glycolysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.