Definition of gnatcatcher in English:
A tiny gray-backed New World songbird, with a long tail that is often cocked.
- Genus Polioptila, family Polioptilidae (or Sylviidae): several species
- Titmice, chickadees, gnatcatchers, grackles, and swifts came and went.
- A rainbow of darts shoots through the limbs - a capeful of purple finch, three blue-gray gnatcatchers, a pair of cedar waxwings, and countless ruby-crowned kinglets.
- Hence, the quail and the gnatcatcher might both be relatively recent arrivals in the north.
Definition of gnatcatcher in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia