Definition of goalpost in English:
Either of the two upright posts of a goal.
- The distance between the goals and the goalposts shall be decided upon by the Captains of the sides playing.
- It flew at an alarming rate towards the goal, hit the goalpost, and rebounded off it straight back at me.
- The same player rocked Carlow with a thunderous shot off the goalpost for a spectacular goal to put Port ahead for the first time after 12 minutes.
move the goalposts
- Unfairly alter the conditions or rules of a procedure during its course.Example sentences
- Changing the rules is one thing, moving the goalposts after a shot has been taken is quite another.
- Proving that ID isn't science is useful, and I think even necessary, but it does not preclude the creationists from moving the goalposts, as they are already trying to do in Dover.
- They immediately started moving the goalposts.
Definition of goalpost in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India