Definition of godmother in English:
1A female godparent.
- You can name just one godparent, or two godmothers or godfathers.
- She was a godmother to several children born in the village, and she taught in the Sunday School and she did a great deal.
- His sister Tamara is a close friend of mine, and I am the godmother to her daughter, I have a great relationship with all of the Castagnolas.
1.1A woman who is influential in a movement or organization, through providing support for it or through playing a leading or innovatory part in it: she has been called the godmother of Quebec business
More example sentences
- Canadian author Naomi Klein, the godmother of the anti-globalisation movement, considers the way marketing handles the protests against corporate power.
- At age 83, she continues with us, strong as ever, and even more honored by her beloved community of poets - especially the community of black poets to whom she is a pioneering example and godmother.
- Joan Brown's irreverent explorations of the conflicted roles associated with femininity make her seem as well a kind of godmother to contemporary Bad Girl artists such as Karen Kilimnik and Nicole Eisenman.
Words that rhyme with godmotherhousemother
Definition of godmother in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan