Definition of goiter in English:
A swelling of the neck resulting from enlargement of the thyroid gland: a woman with a goiter the belief that amber necklaces were good for curing goiter
More example sentences
- There may also be swelling of the thyroid gland in the neck - a goitre.
- It is assumed that most elderly patients with subclinical hyperthyroidism have a multinodular goiter, but several other conditions should be considered in the differential diagnosis.
- Life changing operations such as hernia repairs and removal of a goiter of the thyroid gland were considered elective, a luxury, but are now being performed free of charge.
- Example sentences
- In Britain the best recognized region is the Peak District and this is the reason why this goitrous condition is known colloquially as ‘Derbyshire neck’: but iodination of table salt has now made it rare.
- A review of 15 cases of fetal goitrous hypothyroidism in the English literature is presented.
- Normal immunoglobulin levels have also been found in goitrous cases in other studies.
Definition of goiter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia