Definition of goldeneye in English:
noun (plural same or goldeneyes)
A migratory northern diving duck, the male of which has a dark head with a white cheek patch and yellow eyes.
- Genus Bucephala, family Anatidae: two species, in particular the common goldeneye (B. clangula)
- The goldeneye's white spot is between its telltale yellow eye and grey beak, rather than behind the eye.
- It was beside Henry's Fork that we skied and watched goldeneyes, mallards and trumpeter swans floating in the shallows.
- During migration, goldeneyes stop on large lakes and rivers to feed while they move between breeding and wintering habitats.
Definition of goldeneye in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.