Definition of goldfinch in English:
A brightly colored finch with yellow feathers in the plumage.
- Genus Carduelis, family Fringillidae: four species, especially the American goldfinch (C. tristis) and the Eurasian goldfinch (C. carduelis)
- Chickadees, crossbills, goldfinches, nuthatches, siskins, and woodpeckers pick the winged seeds out of pine and spruce cones.
- Miners became fond of their birds, and as well as breeding the canaries with one another, they started to produce crosses - or mules, as they called them - with British finches such as goldfinches and greenfinches.
- Sunflower seeds appeal to many of our wintering birds, but the goldfinches and house finches prefer thistle seed, while the ground-feeding sparrows and doves enjoy millet or a mixture of high quality seeds.
Words that rhyme with goldfinchbullfinch
Definition of goldfinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan