Definition of goldfinch in English:
A brightly colored finch with yellow feathers in the plumage.
- Genus Carduelis, family Fringillidae: four species, especially the American goldfinch (C. tristis) and the Eurasian goldfinch (C. carduelis)
- Chickadees, crossbills, goldfinches, nuthatches, siskins, and woodpeckers pick the winged seeds out of pine and spruce cones.
- Miners became fond of their birds, and as well as breeding the canaries with one another, they started to produce crosses - or mules, as they called them - with British finches such as goldfinches and greenfinches.
- Sunflower seeds appeal to many of our wintering birds, but the goldfinches and house finches prefer thistle seed, while the ground-feeding sparrows and doves enjoy millet or a mixture of high quality seeds.
Words that rhyme with goldfinchbullfinch
Definition of goldfinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.