- A man was playing a game of golf, and on hole 16, he hit the ball right into a field of buttercups.
- Another choice is a game of golf at either of the two nearby 18-hole courses.
- You'll be able to watch live premiership games, basketball, golf, cricket, and all sorts.
- The idea behind pasture golf is golfing without all the pomp and circumstance.
- The aim of the championship golf tournament is to promote youth golfing in the region.
- He's pretty healthy, golfing almost every day, hanging out with his friends at night.
The first recorded mention of golf is in 1457, in a Scottish edict that banned certain games (including football) because King James II thought they distracted people from archery practice. It seems to have been a Scottish game originally, although the word may be related to Dutch kolf ‘a club or bat’. It is now popular around the world, but according to the American writer Mark Twain, golf is ‘A good walk spoiled’. See also bird
Words that rhyme with golfRolf, Wolf
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.