A metal disk with a turned rim, giving a resonant note when struck: a dinner gong
More example sentences
- In the orchestra, I am thinking of using a certain number of brass and also metallic percussion: tubular bells, gongs, tam-tam, etc.
- A variety of groups in the Hull area will be able to use the Gamelan - a set of chimes, gongs and tuned metal bars made in Java - being purchased by the city council with the help of a £9,000 award.
- At once, the diminutive Goblin leapt off the platform and struck a gong, signalling the beginning of the final battle.
Sound a gong or make a sound like that of a gong being struck.
- Check out these 80 musicians from China who'll be gonging, cymbaling and bamboo-fluting their way through a performance at Penn's Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology.
- It was wonderfully meditative, and as I sat there cross-legged, gonging away and soaking up the mystical reverberations, I got to thinking.
- Suddenly a bell gonged loudly through the palace.
Early 17th century: from Malay gong, gung, of imitative origin.
Words that rhyme with gongalong, belong, bong, chaise longue, Geelong, Guangdong, Haiphong, Heilong, Hong Kong, Jong, King Kong, long, mah-jong, Mao Zedong, Mekong, nong, pong, prolong, sarong, Shillong, song, souchong, strong, thong, throng, tong, Vietcong, wrong
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.