Definition of goniatite in English:
An ammonoid fossil of an early type found chiefly in the Devonian and Carboniferous periods, typically with simple angular suture lines. Compare with ammonite and ceratite.
- Typified by the genus Goniatites, order Goniatitida
- Early ammonoids or goniatites may have simple zig-zag sutures, but they become increasingly complex from the Triassic to the Cretaceous.
- The taxonomically diverse goniatites dominated the Carboniferous-Permian ammonoid fauna.
- Carboniferous goniatites as a group appear to be relatively cosmopolitan.
Definition of goniatite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan