(also goodby or good-by)
- Used to express good wishes when parting or at the end of a conversation.More example sentences
- Papa remained stoic for the most part, but sounded rather choked when he wished me goodbye.
- I'll go over for a few hours, have dinner with Mama and Papa, wish them goodbye and all that.
- We go to say goodbye, and instead of a handshake I get not one kiss, but two.
noun (plural goodbyes or goodbys)Back to top
- An instance of saying “goodbye”; a parting: a final goodbyeMore example sentences
- Saying what are likely to be final goodbyes is something else again.
- With a sudden jerk the we move forward, a few tears are shed, hands wave final goodbyes in a mad frenzy.
- The couple went to the airport where they said their final heartbreaking goodbyes to each other.
late 16th century: contraction of God be with you!, with good substituted on the pattern of phrases such as good morning.