(also goodby or good-by)
Definition of goodbye in English:
Used to express good wishes when parting or at the end of a conversation.
- Papa remained stoic for the most part, but sounded rather choked when he wished me goodbye.
- I'll go over for a few hours, have dinner with Mama and Papa, wish them goodbye and all that.
- We go to say goodbye, and instead of a handshake I get not one kiss, but two.
noun (plural goodbyes or goodbys)Back to top
An instance of saying “goodbye”; a parting: a final goodbye
More example sentences
- Saying what are likely to be final goodbyes is something else again.
- With a sudden jerk the we move forward, a few tears are shed, hands wave final goodbyes in a mad frenzy.
- The couple went to the airport where they said their final heartbreaking goodbyes to each other.
Late 16th century: contraction of God be with you!, with good substituted on the pattern of phrases such as good morning.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.