noun (plural gooseberries)
1A round edible yellowish-green or reddish berry with a thin translucent hairy skin.
- Apples, crab apples, gooseberries, and some plums and grapes usually contain enough natural pectin to form a gel.
- Outdoor-grown rhubarb is the only indigenous fruit till the gooseberries and very early strawberries show their faces next month.
- ‘Josta’ berry takes the looks of a gooseberry, removes the thorns, and makes it sweeter.
2The thorny shrub that bears the gooseberry.
- Ribes grossularia, family Grossulariaceae.
- Every time my gooseberry bush starts to bear fruit, it develops a fungus.
- There were figs, walnuts, mulberries, apples, pears, damsons, gooseberries, elderberries, raspberries - and chickens, which we had inherited from the previous owners.
- To the rear of Old Hall is a large walled garden that has lawns and a variety of plants and shrubs, as well as strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, plum and apple trees.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gooseberry in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.