Definition of goosefoot in English:
noun (plural goosefoots)
A plant of temperate regions with divided leaves that are said to resemble the foot of a goose. Some kinds are edible and many are common weeds.
- Genus Chenopodium, family Chenopodiaceae
- Spinach was a better green vegetable than the goosefoots, sorrels, orach, and similar plants which were widely used in medieval Europe, and gradually usurped their place.
- Cultivated Late Woodland plants included sumpweed, squash, sunflower, goosefoot, and maize.
- Wild rice, sunflower, goosefoot, and squash rind were all well represented.
Definition of goosefoot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India