Definition of goosefoot in English:
noun (plural goosefoots)
A plant of temperate regions with divided leaves that are said to resemble the foot of a goose. Some kinds are edible and many are common weeds.
- Genus Chenopodium, family Chenopodiaceae
- Spinach was a better green vegetable than the goosefoots, sorrels, orach, and similar plants which were widely used in medieval Europe, and gradually usurped their place.
- Cultivated Late Woodland plants included sumpweed, squash, sunflower, goosefoot, and maize.
- Wild rice, sunflower, goosefoot, and squash rind were all well represented.
Definition of goosefoot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.