- A colonial coral of an order distinguished by a horny, treelike skeleton, including the sea fans and precious red coral. Also called horny coral.
More example sentences
- Order Gorgonacea, class Anthozoa
- So I used the last dive of the day to shoot several reef scenes of crinoids sitting among soft corals and gorgonians, and a pair of yellow ghost pipefish.
- There are many small creatures to photograph among the soft corals, gorgonians, hard corals and sponges.
- Soft corals and gorgonians reach out from the overhanging sides, while shoals of fish swirl in the shade.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to Gorgons or gorgonians.More example sentences
- Several ‘fingers' of rock, each densely covered in gorgonian fans, projected out into the blue.
- The coral and sponge growth was again lush, but with far healthier gorgonian colonies away from the sometimes violent swells of Diamond Rock.
- This dive is better in the deeper section, where large gorgonian seafans stretch out into the current, surrounded by large numbers of fish, corals, invertebrates, and some huge barrel sponges.
More definitions of gorgonianDefinition of gorgonian in:
- The British & World English dictionary