A yellow-flowered shrub of the pea family, the leaves of which are modified to form spines, native to western Europe and North Africa.
- Genus Ulex, family Leguminosae: several species, in particular the very spiny U. europaeus, which was introduced to North America
More example sentences
- There was a little colour in the yellow gorse and the silver birch.
- Elsewhere, dozens of residents had to be evacuated in Gwent, Wales, where hundreds of mature trees, bracken, gorse and shrubs were destroyed.
- Thousands of saplings were planted and native gorse was established to create wildlife habitats.
- More example sentences
- Brushwood Hill is the high, gorsy knoll of gravel against which Chester farmhouse is built.
- Where Lowell lived, this consisted of low-lying conifers, alders, and gorsy thicket.
- The walk along the track is firstly through gorsy terrain, then it becomes easier (long pants are a good idea).
Definition of gorse in:
- The British & World English dictionary