Definition of gospel in English:
- As Paul preached the gospel of Jesus Christ, the words sank into Lydia's mind and heart.
- Only the gospel of Jesus Christ can bring both temporal reconciliation and the hope of an eternal and heavenly inheritance to the Israeli and the Palestinian.
- The gospel of God's love has come to us not simply as a written message or an oral announcement, but first of all as a person, a living word.
- The problem with this situation is exactly what I just so cleverly alluded to - people who really don't have much to offer as far as opinions go attempt to pass off their ill-informed extended blurbs as gospel truth.
- Besides, although I'm not a father I am a lawyer and I can assure you that you can take his submission as gospel truth, so to speak.
- It seems trite now, but I hated the fact that everyone took the boys' stories as the gospel truth.
- Today, the enterprise of spreading the gospel of free markets is predicated on the iron fist of overwhelming American military power.
- The Marxist Big Idea was a rigid gospel of economic rules, a one-solution-fits-all kitbag which every communist state used in very similar ways.
- For the neoliberal gospel of free markets is something to be imposed on others.
- We have Mary of Magdala to thank for having this part of The Gospel record in The Bible.
- In this sense we can understand the Gospel record of the Temptation of Jesus.
- His vision for these people was the pursuit of literacy and the teachings of the Gospel.
- View him as we see him in the gospels and in the book of Revelation.
- But by analysing the changes made in the gospels of Matthew and Luke, we can see what Jesus did not say.
- The New Testament begins with the four Gospels - Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
- Brother Hugh McKinney read the first scripture reading and the gospel was read by Canon Mark Diamond.
- I describe it because it has something to do with our gospel reading from the sixth chapter of John.
- After that sweeping overview, the gospel reading homes in on the harrowing story of the Passion.
- Exposed to gospel music while attending Pentecostal churches; Elvis also listened to blues and country-western.
- The lyrics include formulaic gospel cries and they are often delivered in the fervent style of gospel music.
- The church's ambiguous response to gospel music is problematic for this very reason.
Old English gōdspel, from gōd 'good' + spel 'news, a story' (see spell2), translating ecclesiastical Latin bona annuntiatio or bonus nuntius, used to gloss ecclesiastical Latin evangelium, from Greek euangelion 'good news' (see evangel); after the vowel was shortened in Old English, the first syllable was mistaken for god 'God'.
The Good News Bible is an English translation of the Bible, published in 1976, whose name refers to the root meaning of gospel itself. The word is not related to God, but was formed from Old English gōd ‘good’ and spel ‘news, a story’, and was a translation of Greek euangelion ‘good news’, the source of our words evangelism (early 17th century) and evangelist (Middle English). The rock musical Godspell, based on the Gospel of St Matthew and first produced in 1971, took its title from the original spelling of the word.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.