nounGeology & Mining
- An iron-containing secondary deposit, largely consisting of oxides and typically yellowish or reddish, occurring above a deposit of a metallic ore.More example sentences
- In deposits that have been uplifted and exposed on land, the upper sulphides and oxides are invariably oxidized and weathered to a variety of secondary minerals (‘gossan’) by circulating meteoric water.
- Here unusually lustrous crystals to 2.5 cm across occurred in limonite-malachite gossan.
- It was found in gossan from a dump of one of the small mines on the southeastern side of the mountain on the World's Fair claim group.
late 18th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of gossanDefinition of gossan in:
- The British & World English dictionary