Definition of gourmet in English:
1A connoisseur of good food; a person with a discerning palate.
- Now gourmets can treat their palates to real Turkish food.
- From September 1 to October 31, a German Food Festival offers gourmets the opportunity to enjoy typical German cuisine in a festive atmosphere reminiscent of the region.
- The three-day food fiesta provided the gourmets the opportunity to savour cuisines from various corners of the country and abroad.
1.1 [as modifier] Of a kind or standard suitable for a gourmet: a gourmet meal
More example sentences
- But take the train from Dublin to Cork and you can enjoy gourmet meals and a trolley service etc.
- Today wild rice with its nutty flavour and chewy texture is considered a delicacy, often served as part of gourmet meals.
- Our cook Rona somehow conjures up gourmet meals from a galley no bigger than a telephone box.
Early 19th century: French, originally meaning 'wine taster', influenced by gourmand.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.