1(Of a hominid species) of slender build.
- But today, there are eight putative species of early gracile hominid - and a number of the most recent and most ancient have characteristics that might force a re-interpretation of our earliest ancestry.
- This was also the age of ‘Lucy,’ Australopithecus afarensis, and the radiation of robust and gracile hominids which produced the genus Homo.
- Some are stocky, others are slender and gracile in body shape.
1.1(Of a person) slender or thin, especially in a charming or attractive way.
- Males are generally smaller, more gracile and more angular than females.
- She is gracile and delightful.
- She was gracile, and her curves seemed liquid smooth.
Early 17th century: from Latin gracilis 'slender'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gracile in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.