1A songbird of the American blackbird family, the male of which has shiny black plumage with a blue-green sheen.
- Several genera and species, family Icteridae, in particular the common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)
More example sentences
- In this study, we focused on a group of birds within the family Icteridae termed the grackles and allies.
- Instead of our winter visitors that left us for more northern areas, we now have grackles, red-wings and cowbirds.
- The common birds included grackles, blackbirds, catbirds, and lots and lots of robins.
late 18th century: from modern Latin Gracula, from Latin graculus 'jackdaw'.
Definition of grackle in:
- The British & World English dictionary