A small beetle that infests grain stores and warehouses.
- Cucujidae and other families: several species, in particular the tropical saw-toothed grain beetle (Oryzaephilus surinamensis), now found worldwide
More example sentences
- In either case, damage to stored grain by the lesser grain borer, rice weevil, red flour beetle, and rusty grain beetle costs the U.S. wheat industry about $500 million annually.
- The owner of a ‘filthy’ Hull bakery which was found to have an infestation of ants, silverfish and grain beetles has been fined £6,000 for a catalogue of offences that could have led to serious food poisoning.
- Flour beetles, saw-toothed grain beetles and Indian meal moths are some of the more common pests.
Definition of grain beetle in:
- The British & World English dictionary