noun (singular granum /-nəm/)Botany
- The stacks of thylakoids embedded in the stroma of a chloroplast.More example sentences
- Chloroplast envelopes, stacked grana and unstacked stroma thylakoids were well-defined.
- The chloroplasts with large grana stacks were seen in 50% of cases but none of the parameters significantly explained the occurrence.
- The VPC chloroplasts possessed well-developed thylakoids with grana.
late 19th century: plural of Latin granum 'grain'.
More definitions of granaDefinition of grana in:
- The British & World English dictionary