Definition of granitize in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective granitized) Geology
Alter (rock) so as to give it a granitic character.
- They are primarily quartzite, granite, and granitized schists.
- Rocks are deformed, granitised and high grade metamorphosed.
- The product may vary from a homogeneous rock produced by soaking to a coarsely mixed rock easily separable into relic and granitic or granitised portions.
- Example sentences
- The whole of this territory is, therefore, worth examination in the light of the granitization hypothesis.
- Thus, granites can form both by magmatism and granitization or a combination of the two.
- Glaucophane, is not a mineral typical of granite; it is typical of high-grade schists and may be preserved during the granitization of metamorphic rocks.
Definition of granitize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India