noun (plural same)
1A large, round, yellow citrus fruit with an acid, juicy pulp.
- In a bowl, combine the grapefruit, blood orange, lemon, lime, and tangerine segments.
- Like grapefruit, bitter orange can boost blood levels of many medications and increase the risk of side effects.
- I watched him this morning juicing a grapefruit, guava, blood orange, mango, plums, and grapes and pouring the elixir into a giant glass pitcher.
2The tree bearing the grapefruit.
- Citrus paradisi, family Rutaceae.
- Mark called in about black mould on his grapefruit tree and fruit.
- The grapefruit tree produced 19 fruits last year.
- When his group planted Florida-derived rootstock of Star Ruby grapefruit in Texas, the fruit produced some 50 percent more of this carotenoid than it had in Florida.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of grapefruit in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.