- 1Of or relating to visual art, especially involving drawing, engraving, or lettering: his mature graphic workMore example sentences
visual, symbolic, pictorial, illustrative, diagrammatic; drawn, written
- In contrast, her graphic wood engravings reflect the turmoil of the war years.
- Three limpid watercolors reveal their development through a few washes applied to a pencil or ink line drawing, providing more graphic than chromatic complexity.
- Like maps, Lombardi's drawings use a graphic shorthand that viewers need to learn in order to navigate the material.
- 1.1Giving a vivid picture with explicit detail: he gave a graphic description of the tortureMore example sentences
- The extract was a very graphic, detailed description of a particularly violent rape, as told in past tense by the victim.
- They described in graphic detail their playground games - modern-day versions of our own ‘kissing games’.
- In graphic detail, she describes the devastation that would follow, leaving up to 200,000 people dead.
- 1.2 Computing Of, relating to, or denoting a visual image: graphic information such as charts and diagramsMore example sentences
- Our rule of thumb is to keep most pages less than 60K, including scripts, style sheets, and graphic images.
- These scripts and applets can automatically place a graphic image of the expected legitimate URL on top of the address bar within the browser to hide the actual address that the browser is really being directed to.
- I then cut out the graphic image and saved it as a JPEG.
- 2Of or in the form of a graph.More example sentences
- Mean zero noise is associated with underestimation of distribution volumes when data are analyzed with graphic analysis.
- This report includes a graphic analysis with the patient's results plotted against normal values so that the examiner can quickly see how a patient compares.
- It has the advantage over grouped frequency distribution of retaining the actual data while showing them in graphic form.
- 3 [attributive] Geology Of or denoting rocks having a surface texture resembling cuneiform writing.More example sentences
- Graphic granite is a regular intergrowth of quartz and feldspar that gives an angular appearance suggestive of cuneiform writing (whence "graphic," which means "writing").
- In graphic granite and in pegmatites, perthite is of common occurrence.
- Graphic granite as a decorative stone has been used since antiquity.
nounComputing Back to top
- A graphical item displayed on a screen or stored as data.More example sentences
picture, illustration, image; diagram, graph, chart; (graphics) art, visual art
- The main factors that influence the display of graphics for the Web, are the size of the file and the screen display quality of the graphic.
- A raster graphic is basically a bitmapped graphic (as opposed to a vector graphic), thus a raster bar is a bitmapped graphic of a bar.
- You have displayed the graphic in the chosen video mode.
mid 17th century: via Latin from Greek graphikos, from graphē 'writing, drawing'.