Definition of grass carp in English:
A large Chinese freshwater fish, farmed for food in Southeast Asia and introduced elsewhere to control the growth of vegetation in waterways.
- Ctenopharyngodon idella, family Cyprinidae
- Though still on experimental level, we are introducing fast growing grass carp, a weed-eating fish, into the lake.
- Silver carp and tilapia fed on the phytoplankton; the grass carp, wuchang fish and common carp ate green fodder.
- As with all coarse fish, grass carp begin feeding upon invertebrates before moving on to a wider diet including soft plants.
Definition of grass carp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan