Definition of gray matter in English:
1The darker tissue of the brain and spinal cord, consisting mainly of nerve cell bodies and branching dendrites. Compare with white matter.
- The more severe a patient's ADHD symptoms - as rated by parents and clinicians - the smaller were their frontal lobes, temporal gray matter, caudate nucleus and cerebellum.
- In some tissues, such as gray matter in the brain, water also diffuses in an approximately spherical pattern.
- They had less grey matter in the frontal lobes and had enlarged ventricles.
1.1 informal Intelligence: I wish I had a little of her gray matter
More example sentences
- College professors like Felix Bethel, who have considerable intellectual grey matter do not hold these beliefs.
- They are still behaving as if they were the stupid party, even though they manifestly possess rather more grey matter, head for head, than Labour.
- He holds degrees in criminal justice and psychology and I have already been picking his scholarly gray matter.
Definition of gray matter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.