(also African gray parrot)
A parrot of western equatorial Africa, with gray plumage and a red tail, widely kept as a pet for its mimicking abilities.
- Psittacus erithacus, family Psittacidae
More example sentences
- Vancouverite Michelle Blaney takes in unwanted parrots, currently caring for four macaws, an African grey parrot and a cockatiel.
- Twenty five years of research has shown that grey parrots have cognitive intelligence equal to a 6.5 year old child and communication skills equal to a 2 + year old child.
- In the last few years, though, the MIT professor Irene Pepperberg has been conducting some rather amazing experiments with her pet grey parrots.
Definition of gray parrot in:
- The British & World English dictionary