- A large seal with a spotted, grayish coat and a convex profile, found commonly in the North Atlantic. Also called Atlantic seal.
More example sentences
- Halichoerus grypus, family Phocidae
- Harbor and gray seals are fairly common around the Iles de la Madeleine and can be easily spotted in their natural habitat.
- The order, which came into effect on September 4, extended bans on killing either common or harbour seals in waters around Scotland, and grey seals in the Moray Firth.
- In UK waters common and grey seals can be found around much of the coastline, often in colonies numbering thousands.
More definitions of gray sealDefinition of gray seal in:
- The British & World English dictionary