(also graylag goose)
A large goose with mainly gray plumage, which is native to Eurasia and is the ancestor of the domestic goose.
- Anser anser, family Anatidae
More example sentences
- The greylag goose is a native species in Iceland, the United Kingdom, and Europe, and it also winters in the Mediterranean and southern Asia.
- The barking of geese broke the silence, greylags and Canada share open water with oystercatchers.
- The Central Science Laboratory is also collaborating in another project with the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust which is exploring whether greylags seen in Britain are migrants from Greenland or belong to a population resident in the UK.
early 18th century: probably from gray1 + dialect lag 'goose', of unknown origin.
Definition of graylag in:
- The British & World English dictionary