Definition of great skua in English:
A large North Atlantic skua with mainly brown plumage, feeding by robbing other seabirds.
- Catharacta skua, family Stercorariidae
- In the present study, we investigate sex differences in environmental sensitivity of great skuas Stercorarius skua, in natural broods and in experimental broods without sibling competition.
- From Sidhean Mor we followed a faint path south, back towards the lighthouse, passing a small loch below Sidhean Beag where bonxies, great skuas, were creating turmoil amongst the oystercatcher nests.
- Although the numerous seabirds that surround it in spring are great too watch, be aware of the great skuas, or ‘bonxies’.
Definition of great skua in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan