- A piece of armor used to protect the shin.More example sentences
- In Caesar's time they seem to have been distinguished by armoured greaves protecting the shins and a deep plated belt.
- An armed figure with Corinthian helmet, cuirass, and greaves, and holding a spear and round shield, runs with a very wide stride behind each chariot.
- The discovery also includes silver cups, greaves (armour worn on the shins), bronze objects, ceramic dishes and weapons.
Middle English: from Old French greve 'shin, greave', of unknown origin.
More definitions of greaveDefinition of greave in:
- The British & World English dictionary