Definition of grebe in English:
A diving waterbird with a long neck, lobed toes, and almost no tail, typically having bright breeding plumage used in display.
- Family Podicipedidae: several genera. The several North American species include the western grebe (Aechmorphorus occidentalis) and the pied-billed grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)
- Smallest of the grebes, the little grebe, or dabchick, is considerably rounder and more dumpy than its congeners.
- The farm is also home to blue-winged teals, coots, grebes, and an occasional osprey or peregrine falcon.
- The Horned Grebe is a small grebe with a straight bill, thick neck, and squarish head.
Mid 18th century: from French grèbe (term used in the Savoy region), of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with grebeAntibes, Beeb, Delibes, dweeb, glebe, Maghrib, plebe
Definition of grebe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.