- 1(In the US) a permit allowing a foreign national to live and work permanently in the US.More example sentences
- Even without a green card, foreign nationals are free to stuff envelopes, knock on doors, or otherwise volunteer on a campaign, provided they receive absolutely no pay for their work.
- At the end of last year, nearly three million people were waiting in line for a green card, a work permit or a change in their immigration status, up almost 20 percent in just 12 months.
- Investors receive conditional two-year visas before they are awarded permanent green cards.
- 2(In the UK) an international insurance document for motorists.More example sentences
- These days the green card of motor insurance is not usually required but it is as well to check with your insurance company first.
- In Romania a car can be impounded if the driver cannot produce their green card, and it is also required in Malta, Andorra and Poland.
More definitions of green cardDefinition of green card in:
- The British & World English dictionary