1 (also greengage plum) A sweet, greenish fruit resembling a small plum. Also called gage3.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 15 min, stirring regularly to crush the greengages down to a pulp.
- Bake the tart for 50-60 minutes, until the almond filling is cooked and the plums or greengages are tender.
- If they are greengages, they'll be sweet and suitable for eating.
2The tree bearing the greengage fruit.
- Prunus domestica subsp. italica (or P. italica), family Rosaceae.
- Residents are now planning to plant another 70 trees, including cherry and greengage, at the orchard, off Leigh Road.
Early 18th century: named after Sir William Gage (1657–1727), the English botanist who introduced it to England.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of greengage in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.