Disinformation disseminated by an organization so as to present an environmentally responsible public image: the recycling bins in the cafeteria are just feeble examples of their corporate greenwash
More example sentences
- If the company suggests ‘self-regulation,’ its public image-making is probably greenwash.
- Can business use its brands to benefit the environment or is that just greenwash?
- These masters of climate greenwash have undergone expensive corporate makeovers and now present themselves as leaders in reducing CO2 emissions and supporting renewable energy.
- Example sentences
- We've obviously gone beyond the point where sustainability is just a buzzword for corporate greenwashers.
- Earth Day 2000's ‘Don't Be Fooled’ report highlights the worst of this past year's ‘greenwashers’, companies that make false or misleading environmental claims.
- For the past eleven years, Earthday Resources has issued its Don't Be Fooled Awards to the top ten ‘greenwashers ‘of the previous year.’
1980s: from green 'not ecologically harmful', on the pattern of whitewash.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of greenwash in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.