2A field for football, marked with regularly spaced parallel lines.
- It doesn't much resemble the game that we have been watching for the past 20 weeks on NFL gridirons, but that doesn't mean that the players are playing hard.
- Giants TE Jeremy Shockey was named the NFL's Rookie of the Year Wednesday, capping off a season in which his production on the field was often overshadowed by his antics off the gridiron.
- Since the 1960s, the gridiron, baseball field, basketball court, and boxing ring have spawned legions of entrepreneurs who sought to compete in the business arena.
2.1North American The game of football: [as modifier]: the national gridiron season
More example sentences
- What's interesting to me here is the importance of sport to Americans and Brits, particularly football - gridiron and/or soccer.
- It has also become common practice in basketball, gridiron and other major sports in the United States.
- Condensing the playoffs would also avoid competition with the World Series, National Football League games, and college gridiron games.
Middle English gredire, alteration of gredile 'griddle' by association with iron.
Words that rhyme with gridironmidiron
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gridiron in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.