North American informal
Engage in petty swindling.
- Sooner rather than later, Gus' funds begin to run out, so he begins grifting for money.
- His exceptional skills at grifting combined with his good looks have allowed him to believe that he can con anybody.
- The #1 rule of grifting is to con the mark in such a way that they don't want to turn you in.
A petty swindle.
- And Martha discovers that there is a dear price to pay for buying into a world of grifts, scams, and dishonesty.
- Because the movie is too lazy to set up some grifts, Reilly and Luna are established as out-and-out thieves.
- Only when Ann Merai and her husband - along with the hundreds of thousands of dollars - go up in smoke, does Matt realize that he's been entangled in an elaborate grift, where every single clue winds up pointing towards him.
- Example sentences
- Not only has spam quadrupled but the spammers' technology and methods also have been adopted by virus writers, grifters, and thieves.
- The search for this loot has gotten a lot of media attention - and apparently become the focus of scams being run by Internet grifters.
- A few of these grifters have been jailed, including a Texas man sentenced in January to 6 1/2 years in prison and ordered to repay the government about $1.2 million.
Early 20th century: alteration of graft2.
Words that rhyme with griftadrift, drift, gift, lift, rift, shift, shrift, sift, squiffed, swift, thrift, uplift
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of grift in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.