2A grasshopper or cricket.
- Humped-winged grigs are found in coniferous forests; C. strepitans also occurs in high altitude sagebrush.
- You can listen to songs of grigs and find out more about them at the Web site above.
(as) merry (or lively) as a grig
- British dialect Full of fun; extravagantly lively.Example sentences
- Everyone said Annabelle had been merry as a grig before the man she loved married elsewhere.
- I think it was a cricket, but when I heard it, I was merry as a grig!
- They were more than fairly high, merry as grigs, and prepared to go on all night.
Middle English (in the sense 'dwarf'): of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with grigbig, brig, dig, fig, gig, jig, lig, pig, prig, rig, snig, sprig, swig, tig, trig, twig, Whig, wig
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of grig in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.