adjective (grislier, grisliest)
Causing horror or disgust: the town was shaken by a series of grisly crimes
More example sentences
- Jurors were spared much of the gory detail in the case, but the horrific nature of the crime and the grisly aftermath was hard to avoid.
- The story of secrecy, scientific ethics and national security is macabre, grisly and disturbing.
- This opening scene sets the tone for a grisly, gory and sometimes comic werewolf horror film.
gruesome, ghastly, frightful, horrid, horrifying, fearful, hideous, macabre, spine-chilling, horrible, horrendous, grim, awful, dire, dreadful, terrible, horrific, shocking, appalling, abominable, loathsome, abhorrent, odious, monstrous, unspeakable, disgusting, repulsive, repugnant, revolting, repellent, sickening
- Example sentences
- But that's the kind of story it is; there's no grisliness for the sake of grisliness - it grows out of the situation, and never dominates the movie.
- From there, the action quickly shifts to a battlefield that is dominated by a sense of the grisliness and cruelty of war.
- There's much grisliness on display - including a lively decapitation and some excruciating business involving a bear trap - but I wouldn't call it a satire.
Words that rhyme with grislydrizzly, grizzly, Sisley
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.