Definition of grits in English:
plural noun[also treated as singular] US
1A dish of coarsely ground corn kernels boiled with water or milk.
- Enjoy grits with butter, brown sugar or with a splash of maple syrup.
- I love grits, too, whether with eggs and sausage or topped with shrimp in true ‘low country’ style.
- Almost immediately a servant brought her a plate of eggs, bacon, grits and sausage, each in small portions and all very southern.
1.1Coarsely ground corn kernels from which grits are made.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, bring the grits, milk, and chicken stock to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine the grits, masa, and salt and mix well.
- As luck would have it - and because I too have a bit of the South in me - I had a bag of stoneground South Carolina grits in my freezer.
Definition of grits in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan