(also grivet monkey)
Definition of grivet in English:
A common African guenon with greenish-brown upper parts and a black face. Compare with green monkey and vervet.
- Cercopithecus aethiops, family Cercopithecidae, in particular the race C. a. aethiops of Ethiopia and Sudan, with long white cheek tufts
- This small forest is rich in mammal species like the red-tailed and grivet monkeys, the dwarf bush baby, the Potto and the African and palm civets.
- Green monkeys are also called vervets, tantalus, sabeus, and grivet monkeys.
- The riverine forest has many colobus and grivet monkeys.
Mid 19th century: from French, of unknown origin.
Definition of grivet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.