A finch or related songbird with a stout conical bill and typically brightly colored plumage.
- Several genera in the family Fringillidae and subfamily Cardinalinae (family Emberizidae); the white-fronted grosbeak or grosbeak weaver (Amblyospiza albifrons) belongs to the family Ploceidae
More example sentences
- Finches, grosbeaks, titmice, nuthatches, sparrows, and cardinals will beat a path to your door.
- Songbirds like warblers, orioles, tanagers, grosbeaks, and sparrows are far from the only birds that display dimorphism.
- She's had the best luck attracting seed-feeding birds, such as finches, grosbeaks, jays and nuthatches, by using common black oil sunflower seeds.
late 17th century: from French grosbec, from gros 'big, fat' + bec 'beak'.
More definitions of grosbeakDefinition of grosbeak in:
- The British & World English dictionary