Definition of grosbeak in English:
A finch or related songbird with a stout conical bill and typically brightly colored plumage.
- Several genera in the family Fringillidae and subfamily Cardinalinae (family Emberizidae); the white-fronted grosbeak or grosbeak weaver (Amblyospiza albifrons) belongs to the family Ploceidae
- Finches, grosbeaks, titmice, nuthatches, sparrows, and cardinals will beat a path to your door.
- Songbirds like warblers, orioles, tanagers, grosbeaks, and sparrows are far from the only birds that display dimorphism.
- She's had the best luck attracting seed-feeding birds, such as finches, grosbeaks, jays and nuthatches, by using common black oil sunflower seeds.
late 17th century: from French grosbec, from gros 'big, fat' + bec 'beak'.
Definition of grosbeak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan