noun[treated as singular or plural]
- The ground-based personnel and equipment that monitor and direct the flight and landing of aircraft or spacecraft.More example sentences
- Example products include aviation and ground control headsets, wireless communications devices, tactical communications equipment and emergency response dispatch systems.
- It will be commanded only once the ground control team have re-acquired signal from the spacecraft, and made sure with a sequence of tests that the second boom is correctly locked into position and the spacecraft is well under control.
- The commander is the captain of the space shuttle and makes all the critical decisions on behalf of the crew and in coordination with the ground control team.
- More example sentences
- Once the telescope is placed in its orbit, ground controllers will send a message telling the telescope to unfold its high-tech mirror petals.
- The space vehicle is sufficiently far away for the ground controllers - having access to all data and not just a limited selection - to take the best decision.
- If we are unfamiliar with a particular gate or taxi route, ground controllers are more than willing to help out with directions.
More definitions of ground controlDefinition of ground control in:
- The British & World English dictionary