- A small dove that spends much of its time on the ground, feeding and frequently nesting there.
More example sentences
- Columbina, Gallicolumba, and related genera, family Columbidae: several species, including the common ground dove (C. passerina) of North and Central America
- Other birds on the island include boobies, fairy terns, frigate birds, and a good-sized population of friendly ground doves, a species classed as internationally vulnerable.
- Around me was the tiny hoot of ground doves and the twittering of bananaquits.
- Miniature ground doves twittered along the sand, their heads pecking uncomfortably back and forth like clockwork gone haywire.
More definitions of ground doveDefinition of ground dove in:
- The British & World English dictionary