Definition of ground dove in English:
A small dove that spends much of its time on the ground, feeding and frequently nesting there.
- Columbina, Gallicolumba, and related genera, family Columbidae: several species, including the common ground dove (C. passerina) of North and Central America
- Other birds on the island include boobies, fairy terns, frigate birds, and a good-sized population of friendly ground doves, a species classed as internationally vulnerable.
- Around me was the tiny hoot of ground doves and the twittering of bananaquits.
- Miniature ground doves twittered along the sand, their heads pecking uncomfortably back and forth like clockwork gone haywire.
Definition of ground dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.