Definition of ground pine in English:
1A small, yellow-flowered Eurasian plant of the mint family that resembles a pine seedling in appearance and smell.
- Ajuga chamaepitys, family Labiatae
- Following fencing, scrub clearance and introduction of sheep grazing a good chalk grassland flora is starting to re-establish including the rare ground pine which relies on sheep grazing to survive.
2A North American club moss with small, shiny leaves, resembling a miniature conifer and growing typically in coniferous woodland.
- Genus Lycopodium, family Lycopodiaceae: several species, in particular L. obscurum and L. tristachyum
- The delicately branched woodland horsetail and two ground pines (fan club moss and running club moss) also grow here.
- This order includes the recent genus Lycopodium (known commonly as club moss, ground pine, or ‘wolf foot,’), with some 200 living species.
Definition of ground pine in:
- British & World English dictionary