Definition of ground pine in English:
1A small, yellow-flowered Eurasian plant of the mint family that resembles a pine seedling in appearance and smell.
- Ajuga chamaepitys, family Labiatae
- Following fencing, scrub clearance and introduction of sheep grazing a good chalk grassland flora is starting to re-establish including the rare ground pine which relies on sheep grazing to survive.
2A North American club moss with small, shiny leaves, resembling a miniature conifer and growing typically in coniferous woodland.
- Genus Lycopodium, family Lycopodiaceae: several species, in particular L. obscurum and L. tristachyum
- The delicately branched woodland horsetail and two ground pines (fan club moss and running club moss) also grow here.
- This order includes the recent genus Lycopodium (known commonly as club moss, ground pine, or ‘wolf foot,’), with some 200 living species.
Definition of ground pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan