noun(usually ground rules)
1A basic principle: some ground rules for assessing new machines
More example sentences
- Before an interview, Johnson laid down the ground rule that he didn't want to talk about his Seattle days.
- My first ground rule is always to tell the truth.
- The ground rule on that subject would be never to make familiarity with one's earlier works necessary for enjoying or appreciating the current one.
1.1 Baseball A rule pertaining to the limits of play on a particular field.
- He learned the hard way about a Wrigley Field ground rule.
- By establishing ground rules, the playing field can be leveled for all participants.
- Under the ground rules of the Astrodome, the ball was in play.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ground rule
Definition of ground rule in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.