- The lowest energy state of an atom or other particle.More example sentences
- When an atom or ion is in its ground state, the electrons spend a lot more time close to the nucleus than they do when the atom is in an excited state.
- Nuclear isomers are excited states that eventually decay to the ground state, mostly by gamma radiation.
- The ground state of a hydrogen atom is actually spherically symmetrical.
More definitions of ground stateDefinition of ground state in:
- The British & World English dictionary