Definition of groundsel in English:
- Genus Senecio, family Compositae: several species, in particular the common groundsel (S. vulgaris), which is a common weed. See also giant groundsel
- In the last analysis, groundsels breeding groundsels is not evolution - that's groundless!
- While studying a drab little plant called the groundsel, he was struck by the fact that plants of the same genetic variety could look very different in different environments.
- The image, of a groundsel, shows Britain's newest species of plant - found next to the railway station car park in York.
Old English gundæswelgiæ (later grundeswylige), probably from gund 'pus' + swelgan 'to swallow' (with reference to its use in poultices). The later form may be by association with ground1, and refer to the plant's rapid growth.
Definition of groundsel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.