Definition of grouper in English:
A large or very large heavy-bodied fish of the sea bass family, with a big head and wide mouth, found in warm seas.
- Family Serranidae: several genera, in particular Epinephelus and Mycteroperca. The Nassau grouper (E. striatus) is the most economically important fish of the Bahamas
- Large fish such as groupers and moray eels can often be found resting next to a colony of shrimps, which flit out and crawl over the fish's skin while cleaning it.
- It is another country - on the dive we see angelfish, tarpon, grouper and moray eels.
- Larger fish such as groupers or other sharks have been known to prey on whitetips.
Early 17th century: from Portuguese garoupa, probably from a local term in South America.
Words that rhyme with grouperblooper, cooper, Cowper, duper, Hooper, looper, pea-souper, pupa, scooper, snooper, stupa, stupor, super, trooper, trouper, whooper
Definition of grouper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.